miserable call from rob

February 13th, 2010 § 0 comments

Dusty here. This being my first blog post, I’ll give a state of the adventure address. Never before have the participants had such a miserable, memorable night. After the pinnacle of the previous night’s hotel experience we found ourselves with no place to sleep. The plan or lack thereof was to stay up all night and party like it’s Mardi Gras after the Saints won the super bowl. Fact: cell phone batteries die.

We woke up in the hotel one man down having lost the prince-esque styled though southern drawl laced version of Nandan Rao (see below) to the tennets of academia. There is no doubt the production will crash and burn without him. We shot a few easy scenes and some B-roll after which we took off our film maker hats. We put on our tourist hats. Jason Lee arrived around 5 pm after having driven from Austin to the crescent city only to find us well on our way to being intoxicated not only on alcohol but also by the infectious good vibes surrounding Mardi Gras.
We spent what felt like hours driving around uptown New Orleans looking for parking near the parade route. We fueled our bodies with convenience store hotdogs, beer, and Who Dat Pies! We met up with New York friends Jesse and Jackie who had succeeded in procuring a couch for the night from the wonderful Dorothy. More on her wonder later.

The group followed the parade route 4 miles to downtown collecting beads and other swag all along the way. A brief stop at the circle bar provided some of the best dancing of the night (mostly by Rob Malone). We eventually arrived back at Bourbon Street and contributed to the typical mayhem typically found there. Girls were going wild. I conducted a brief survey about whether or not Zach looked homeless. Results inconclusive.
Zach and I lost Rob and Jason and since Rob’s phone had died and neither of us had Jason’s phone number our foursome became two twosomes. Zach and I continued being idiots and we assumed Rob and Jason did the same. The hours slipped away and by about 4:30 am we put our seemingly brilliant plan into action to poach some indoor sleeping space. We slipped through the lobby of the Sheraton Hotel and went to the 28th floor. I snagged some pillows from the staff closet and we went to sleep at the end of the hallway.
Approximately 30 minutes later I woke up to Zach entertaining three hotel security guards that were not amused at our trespassing. The NOPD were called and showed up quick. Everybody seemed really disgusted with us and the cops all took turns telling us how stupid we were. We leveled with them about honestly having no other option. They dismissed us and we walked in the brisk morning air of the Big Easy to watch the sun come up over the Mississippi River. It was a special moment. I just wish I wouldn’t have been so exhausted.
We dragged ourselves to some public transit and eventually arrived at the car around 8:00 am. We were relieved to see that Jason and Rob were sound asleep inside. Evidently they had walked the four miles home at around 5:00 am. We got in and we all slept for a few more hours. It was the worst sleep I’ve gotten all trip and it made me long to be on a Greyhound again.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>

What's this?

You are currently reading miserable call from rob at Newhard Entertainment Blog.